Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My first big race!

I am excited to tell everyone that I ran the G'town half marathon this past Sunday! I can't begin to tell you how sore I am. I think I pushed it a little too hard. This race was unbelievable. The weather was perfect for running and I had a big support group come out to watch and cheer me on. Now I realize how important it is to have people you know at races to help you along the way. These cheers gave me a burst of energy everytime I heard them! The ironic thing is that my wife was late! I told her that my goal was 2 hrs and so when I crossed the finish line at 1:52, she wasn't there yet. Oh well, that is Michelle for ya. I want to say thank you to Hal, JP, Anne Marie, the Snake, my Dad and Mom, and the Squatting Bear for supporting me during the race! Patrick, I can't believe you asked me you run the trails with you about 5 months ago for the first time and on Sunday I ran 13 miles! You have created a monster.
I started off very nervous and it helped tremendously to see Anne Marie and Patrick before the race! I was so nervous that I had to take a slam just before the race for the 2nd time! The line was so long, I didn't think I was going to make it. People moved quick and I got in and out quick enough to get to the starting line. I would have liked to stretch more but oh well. For the first two miles, I didn't feel all that great. My muscle to the left of my shin bone on my left leg was throbbing for some reason. Luckily, it went away at about mile 3. I found a girl that was going along at a good pace and stayed behind her for 4 miles until she got a cramp and had to pull to the side. This is never good to see in a race, it makes your mind start getting negative thoughts. Luckily, three guys from the Thunder racing team ran up at a good pace so I stayed with them for the next 4 miles. The next thing I knew, I was at mile 7 and needed a boost. Perfect timing. Anne Marie, Patrick, and the Snake were across the street yelling for me and I turned it on from then on. My last 2 miles were scarry because my left calf was starting to twinge and I was worried that I might cramp up. Then I saw my parents and knew that a little cramp couldn't stop me. I got that out of my head and turned the Ipod up and finished strong to the awaiting group of friends. I even blew kisses to the crowd to put the icing on the cake. Awesome race, awesome day!
I am also very excited to announce that my running buddies, Poole and Drew, finished the race in 1:38 and 1:33 respectively. I could be off a little on their times but I think that is what they told me. Do something!

See you all on the trails!

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Way to go D...what an accomplishment. You should have let us know...we would have come.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first half D! You were a crowd favorite at the end. I know that all of us are proud of your accomplishment. The first big race is one that you'll always remember. Time to throw down the gauntlet now and start shooting for the full!!

Mike Hudson said...

Great race, D! Keep it up!

Brandy Parker said...

Congratulations!! Sorry I missed you crossing the finish line. Be proud of yourself!! ~~Brandy

Mike Hudson said...

Tag...

Here are the rules:
1) Write your own six word memoir
2) Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you want
3) Link to the person that tagged you in your post, and to the original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere
4) Tag at least five more blogs with links
5) Leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play!

Stanzx said...

Man...we sure do blog alot! March 10th...maybe you should blog about golf...ooooh...I am going to blog ...right now...about golf.