Monday, February 18, 2008

A reason for running

Well this weekend was full of surprises but one may change my life forever. First of all, a bunch of my buddies went to the Sylamore 50K and represented us very well. Even my buddies dad who is in his 60's finished at a very strong 8:26. If I can do half that when I am his age I will be ecstatic. The big thing that happened was that during a run with a "newby" at Shelby Farms, we started talking and I stumbled upon a very sensitive subject in his life. He ended up telling me about his past and how he struggled with this "something" that I never new about. He told me that his only way to beat this "problem" was to run. I can't go into detail because he asked me to keep it quiet but I can tell you that I have a new respect for the sport. Running has actually saved this guys life and I never even had a clue! I know this is all very vague to you but just trust me. It was an amazing story of survival and "replacement for addictions".
As far as my training goes, I am feeling very strong and had another great long run this weekend and I think I will increase my mileage this week.
One more congrats to the finishers of the Sylamore 50k and 25k this weekend! Later

2 comments:

squatting bear said...

D, can't wait to run in the back yard tomorrow. Seems like it has been forever doesn't it? Cool blog too, I hear ya, you know I always do.

squatting bear said...

D, yes I ended up running solo at Shelby Farms. Had a good one too. Have fun and tell everyone I said hello. Later